Which CDL is Right For Me?

1. Classes of a CDL

There are three distinct classes of a CDL. They are listed as Class A, Class B, and Class C. Each class allows a person to legally operate a vehicle up to a certain weight limit.

Class A – Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more provided that the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B – Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle that is towing a vehicle that does not exceed 10,000 pounds.
Class C – Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that does not match the definition of the above Class A or Class B vehicles, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or has placards for hazardous materials.

2. Endorsements

There are several endorsements that you can add to your license. Below are the available endorsements and how you can acquire them:

“T” Double or Triple – (Written Test) This endorsement will allow you to haul two or three trailers on your commercial vehicle. You must have your Class A CDL to receive the “T” endorsement.
“N” Tank – (Written Test) This endorsement allows you to haul large amounts of liquid. To haul large amounts of fuel in a tanker vehicle you must have your HAZMAT endorsement covered below.
“H” Hazardous Materials – (Written Test and Background Check) This endorsement allows you to haul any amounts of hazardous materials. You are required to placard your vehicle whenever you are transporting any hazardous material in your vehicle. You must pass a written test and have a background check through the Transportation Security Administration.
“X” – The “X” endorsement is used to show that you have your Tank and Hazardous Materials endorsement.
“P” – (Written and Driving Test) To operate a vehicle that is designed to carry 16 or more people you must have your “P” endorsement. You must take a written test and a driving test in the vehicle that you plan to operate on the road.
“S” – School Bus (Written and Driving Test) The School Bus endorsement allows you to operate a school bus in transporting minors to and from school facilities. To receive this endorsement you must also have a background check, a sex offender registry check, and you must have the “P” endorsement.

3. Advantages of Having a CDL

Having your CDL will open up many job opportunities to you. Many fields of work require employees to have some form of a CDL. If you were interested in driving a School Bus you must have your CDL. The most common form of work for those with a CDL is truck driving. Most truck drivers that deliver loads across the country have their Class A CDL along with some of the above endorsements. If you are looking for employment, receiving your CDL will ultimately increase your chances of receiving a job along with making yourself more sellable to potential employers.

4. Services Available to Help You Receive Your CDL

There are many trucking schools located across the country that help train people to operate a commercial vehicle. They provide the vehicle to practice with and take the test in to receive their license. Most classes cost thousands of dollars and last at least 3-6 weeks. There are alternatives to schools. Many companies focus on people who already have experience in commercial driving or those that wish to receive their CDL to simply increase their job opportunities. These companies provide instructional DVD programs and training that allows a person to receive their CDL in one day. They provide the class and vehicle to take the test in the very same day.

Shane Goines helps train people to receive their CDL in one day. If you would be interested in receiving your CDL to increase your job opportunities, please contact Shane at http://www.getacdlnow.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Protected with IP Blacklist CloudIP Blacklist Cloud